What a Difference Government Leadership Makes

It is interesting to see the difference between the Ontario government and BC government plans to meet their climate change commitments. The new BC plan, Clean BC, was just announced and requires all new buildings to be net-zero energy by 2032 and all new cars sold to be zero-emission by 2040. It also redirects revenue from the carbon tax into incentives like rebates for the province’s biggest industries to move to cleaner operations. “This is an environment plan, a climate plan, but it’s also an economic strategy for BC going forward,” Premier John Horgan told the press Wednesday.

Although the reductions only fulfil 75% of the province’s 2030 targets, they are committed to continuing to work on the remaining 25% over the next 18 to 24 months. BC has already proven that implementing a carbon tax does not affect economic development, as previous research has shown.

Let’s see how well BC does in comparison to Ontario over the next 10 years. I am placing my money on the West, including Alberta.

Download the full report. Download the highlights.


CRC Comments